Logo

Search > Search Results > Magnes collection on Congregation Emanu-El

  • Main
  • More ...
  • Content Language
Item ID   156543    
Open more fields Accession Number   BANC MSS 2010.612 similar items
Open more fields Other Number   WJHC 1967.006 AR1 (legacy) similar items
·  Number   WJHC 1967.006 AR1 similar items
·  Type   legacy similar items
Level of description   Collection similar items
Open more fields Author/Creator Emanu-El (Congregation) (San Francisco, Calif.) similar items
Title   Magnes collection on Congregation Emanu-El similar items
Filing Title   Magnes collection on Congregation Emanu-El similar items
Open more fields Date Created   1850-2002 similar items
Extent and Quantity   2 cartons, 4 boxes, and 1 oversize folder (3.6 linear feet) similar items
Biographical History   When a group of San Francisco's Jews met in 1849 to participate in Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services, the end result was the formation of San Francisco's congregations, Emanu-El and Sherith Israel. Congregation Emanu-El was founded in 1851 as an Orthodox congregation, and its members were primarily German-speaking Europeans. Its present synagogue building was designed by architects Arthur Brown, Jr., John Bakewell, and Sylvain Schnaittacher. In 1927, the American Institute of Architects selected the building as the finest piece of architecture in Northern California. The congregation and many of its members are recognized for supporting the arts and sponsoring many individual artists, in addition to the synagogue hosting a small museum in its building. In 1928, Nahum Zemach directed a dramatic production of The Dybbuk at Emanu-El. similar items
Scope and Content   Collection consists of materials from and about Congregation Emanu-El collected by the Judah L. Magnes Museum's staff, including a small number of administrative and cemetery records (some of these are photocopies of early materials); materials from the Congregation's religious school (mostly the school's publication "The Scroll" and confirmation booklets); scattered materials on various congregational events, including a copy of a centennial essay on the history of the congregation compiled by Edgar Kahn in 1950; materials on organizations associated with the congregation, including the Women's Guild, the Pathfinders, the Emanuelites, and the Men's Club; a small number of files on individuals, including Rabbis Herman Bien, Elkan Cohn, Jacob Voorsanger, and Martin A. Meyer; copies of The Temple Chronicle, the congregational newsletter (1924-2002); and photographs. The photographs consist mainly of images of the congregation's various buildings before and after the 1906 earthquake and fire. There is an especially fine collection of stereographs of Emanu-El's Sutter Street temple, which was one of the dominating architectural features of the San Francisco skyline. similar items
Link to this Item   http://magnesalm.org/notebook_fext.asp?site=magnes&book=156543 similar items
Link to OCLC WorldCat   http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/71129473    
Link to UC Berkeley OskiCat   http://oskicat.berkeley.edu/record=b18290462~S1    
Link to Magnes.org   http://www.magnes.org/collections/archives/western-jewish-americana/magnes-collection-congregation-emanu-el-1850-2002    
Powered by IDEA-ALM