Logo

Search > Search Results > Congregation Sherith Israel records

  • Main
  • More ...
  • Content Language
Item ID   156575    
Open more fields Accession Number   BANC MSS 2010.720 similar items
Open more fields Other Number   WJHC 1968.006 AR1 (legacy) similar items
·  Number   WJHC 1968.006 AR1 similar items
·  Type   legacy similar items
Level of description   Collection similar items
Open more fields Author/Creator Congregation Sherith Israel (San Francisco, Calif.) similar items
Title   Congregation Sherith Israel records similar items
Filing Title   Congregation Sherith Israel records similar items
Open more fields Date Created   1851-2003 similar items
Extent and Quantity   96 cartons, 3 boxes, 21 oversize boxes, 4 cardfile boxes, 72 volumes, and 1 oversize folder (135 linear feet) similar items
Biographical History   San Francisco's Congregation Sherith Israel has its roots in the Gold Rush era immigration and migration of Jews from Prussia, Bavaria, England, France and the East Coast of the United States. By the end of 1850, these new Jewish San Franciscans had founded two benevolent societies, established a cemetery, worshipped together on the High Holidays, and were considering creating a formal congregation. They managed to come together briefly but soon split into two groups: the English and North Germans, who demanded that worship in the new congregation adhere to the Minhag Polen (the Polish rite), and the primarily Bavarian Jewish immigrants, who wished to worship according to the Minhag Ashkenaz (the traditional German rite). In 1851, the first group formed Congregation Sherith Israel and the second formed the other of San Francisco's leading congregations, Emanu-El. Sherith Israel built is first synagogue on Stockton Street, between Broadway and Vallejo, in 1854. In 1870, having outgrown its first building, the congregation moved into an impressive Gothic style synagogue on Post and Taylor Streets. It was here, in its home on Post and Taylor Streets, that Sherith Israel began to take steps away from its Orthodox roots and toward Reform. This movement towards Reform was helped along by two of Sherith Israel's most prominent rabbis, Henry Vidaver and Jacob Nieto. In 1902, the congregation purchased the site of its current synagogue at California and Webster Streets. Albert Pissis, a prominent San Francisco architect, was immediately hired to design the new building. In 1905, the synagogue, with its noteworthy stained glass windows, elaborate frescoes, and Murray Harris organ, was consecrated. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire spared Sherith Israel's new building, causing only minor damage. The synagogue was actually used as a courthouse after the calamity and played host to Abe Ruef's notorious corruption trial. similar items
Scope and Content   The collection consists of the records of Congregation Sherith Israel from circa 1851 through 2003. Included are administrative materials, such as bylaws, meeting minutes (dating to 1851), and reports; correspondence, including Board of Trustees correspondence dating back to the middle of the 1860s; financial records, including ledgers, journals, daybooks, cashbooks, warrant lists, and financial reports from the 1860s through the 1930s (though a few financial records date to the 1850s); a small series of building and property records; the records of Sherith Israel's cemeteries, Giboth Olam (located in what is now Mission Dolores Park from 1860 though 1889) and Hills of Eternity (located in Colma); membership records, including files on members arranged by surname and seat deeds and seat registers; records of Sherith Israel's religious school; confirmation and bar/bat mitzvah records; some materials relating to the rabbis and cantors of Sherith Israel, including some of Jacob Nieto's correspondence; the congregation's marriage records, including marriage contract books (dating back to 1859), certificate stub books, and marriage authorizations; records relating to Sherith Israel's liturgy, services, and holiday observances; records of the congregation's Sisterhood and Brotherhood; two sets of Temple Subject Files that date back to 1900 but mostly document the concerns and activities of the congregation from the 1940s through the 1970s; issues of Sherith Israel's newsletter dating to 1927; a set of scrapbooks and scrapbook pages that document Sherith Israel's publicity as well as activities of the Sisterhood and other congregational clubs and groups; and photographs. similar items
Link to this Item   http://magnesalm.org/notebook_fext.asp?site=magnes&book=156575 similar items
Link to OCLC WorldCat   http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/71174520    
Link to UC Berkeley OskiCat   http://oskicat.berkeley.edu/record=b18521590~S1    
Link to OAC   http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt9c604085    
Link to Flickr.com   http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnesmuseum/sets/72157622198787826/    
Link to Magnes.org   http://www.magnes.org/collections/archives/western-jewish-americana/congregation-sherith-israel-records-1851-2003    
Powered by IDEA-ALM