Logo

Search > Search Results > Emanu-El Residence Club of San Francisco records

  • Main
  • More ...
  • Content Language
Item ID   156636    
Open more fields Accession Number   BANC MSS 2010.717 similar items
Open more fields Other Number   WJHC 1970.011 AR1 (legacy) similar items
·  Number   WJHC 1970.011 AR1 similar items
·  Type   legacy similar items
Level of description   Collection similar items
Open more fields Author/Creator Emanu-El Residence Club of San Francisco similar items
Title   Emanu-El Residence Club of San Francisco records similar items
Filing Title   Emanu-El Residence Club of San Francisco records similar items
Open more fields Date Created   1894-1969 similar items
Extent and Quantity   10 cartons, 5 boxes, 2 oversize boxes (12.4 linear feet) similar items
Biographical History   The Emanu-El Sisterhood for Personal Service was founded in 1894 as a neighborhood center and settlement house. Within a year it offered employment assistance, relief, sewing classes, a Working Girls' Club, a boys' club, and bible classes for the Eastern European Jewish community in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood. Its first officers included Bella Lilienthal, Mrs. J. Voorsanger, Mrs. M.S. Eisner, Hanna Gerstle, Georgie Davis, and Victoria Lilienthal. Matilda Esberg was also among the founders. Incorporated in 1902, its mission was "to develop and secure personal service on the part of its members in all human enterprises and in elevating the moral standard of the people, improving the condition of their homes, teaching them self-reliance and self-respect, promoting their moral and mental education, and developing technical skill among the young of both sexes." In 1903, the Sisterhood opened a medical clinic that eventually merged with Mt. Zion Hospital. The 1906 earthquake and fire devastated the South of Market area and many Jews relocated to the Fillmore-McAllister district; a new Emanu-El settlement house opened on Golden Gate Avenue. In 1910, Emanu-El Sisterhood President Matilda Esberg conceived the idea of opening a boarding house for single women who did not have families in the area due to death or migration. Ethel Feineman was director from 1915 to 1937. Within a decade demand for such housing was so great that the Sisterhood decided to build a residence club that could house 60 to 70 young working women and students. Designed by Julia Morgan and Dorothy Wormser, the edifice was built at Page and Steiner streets. similar items
Scope and Content   The collection consists of eleven series: Board of Directors; Executive Director Correspondence; Resident Girls Application Cards; Residents Financial Statements; Resident Correspondence; Resident, Other; Building; Program, General; Scrapbooks; Photographs; and Financial. similar items
Link to this Item   http://magnesalm.org/notebook_fext.asp?site=magnes&book=156636 similar items
Link to OCLC WorldCat   http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/76017132    
Link to UC Berkeley OskiCat   http://oskicat.berkeley.edu/record=b18515653~S1    
Link to OAC   http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt2q2nf2kf    
Link to Magnes.org   http://www.magnes.org/collections/archives/western-jewish-americana/emanu-el-residence-club-san-francisco-records-1894-196    
Powered by IDEA-ALM